Getting Children Excited About Family History
There are lots of scrapbooking ideas that you can use with children to get them involved and excited about finding family history. Children love celebrations, bright colors, arts and crafts projects, and being able to show off what there’re working on – you can use all of these to get your little ones begging to work on your family tree.
- 1. It’s more practical, when working with children, to get a 3 ring binder to use as your scrapbook. There won’t be any regrets when a page doesn’t turn out the way you want it to, just don’t include it in your binder. Get a 3 hole punch, some colorful copy paper and clear plastic sheet covers to protect the pages of your scrapbook.
- 2. Celebrate your ancestors’ birthdays! Pick out some interesting characters on your family tree, find out their birthdays, and throw them a party. Have your children make birthday cards for them, write out a brief bio of the person to put in your scrapbook and you can even make a cake with candles!
- 3. Why not devote an entire page or several pages to one ancestor? Do a few short lessons for your children on the historical time period of the person, and then have your children draw pictures of the clothing of the time, or something associated with the person’s occupation, etc.
- 4. If you can visit some of the areas that your ancestors lived in, then take some photos and put them in your scrapbook. Get a map of the area and include that in there too. Have your children write a few lines about what they thought of the area you visited.
- 5. Write ‘thank you’ notes to your ancestors. Thank them for living their lives the best they knew how; thank them for having children so that you can be alive today. Let your kids color the thank you notes or decorate with glitter.
Colored paper, highlighters, some glitter…that’s all you really need to make a colorful family history scrapbook that you and your children will treasure. Your scrapbooking ideas will only be limited by your children’s imagination…and that is unlimited.